Frequently Asked Questions

What are the building hours?

Access to the property is 6:00am to 6:00pm, after these hours a security access card is required to enter the complex. Retail store hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday and closed Saturdays, Sundays and Statutory Holidays.

Where is the security desk in my building?

The central security desk servicing Bentall One through Four is located in the lobby of Four Bentall (1055 Dunsmuir Street). Security can be reached via telephone numbers at:

Security Emergency: 604-661-5068
Security Non-emergency: 778-328-5990

How do I apply for parking?

For detailed information on parking rates, please contact West Park at 604-449-5951, by email at or by fax at 604-669-7276.

How do I get rid of old computers and furniture?

Please note computers and furniture cannot be placed in dumpsters. There are several ways to get rid of old computers:

  1. Computers and electronics recycling is available through Bentall Centre. Simply drop off your old computers, cell phones or photocopiers in the cage area located in One Bentall Centre’s loading area. Access card requires. Large electronics please contact us through Angus Anywhere for tenant requests.
  2. If you’re unable to re-sell or give away your old furniture, contact a removal company like 1-800-GOT-JUNK.
How do I arrange for after-hours access for contractors working in my suite?

You need to complete a work authorization form and depending upon the work to be done, you may need to book a freight elevator. Attach the form to a work order through Angus Anywhere.

Do we need a Work Authorization to have one or two office chairs delivered?

No, however please ensure your delivery crew uses the freight elevator and please try to avoid deliveries between 11:30 am and 1:30 pm. The retail mall is very crowded during this period, making deliveries awkward and potentially dangerous.

We're having lunch catered. Do we need a Work Authorization for the caterers?

No, you would only require a work authorization should you wish to host an event after-hours. The work authorization grants caterers access to your suite after-hours.

What do I do if I've lost my access card?

Report it to Security immediately; they will cancel the card ensuring it cannot be used by anyone who finds it. Then have your Office Administrator make arrangements to have a replacement card issued to you (please note there will be a fee for replacement cards).